In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Penobscot Marine Museum

Main Street, Limerick, ca. 1915

Contributed by Penobscot Marine Museum
MMN Item 25738 Item Details
Main Street, Limerick, ca. 1915
MMN Item 25738 Zoom

Description

Commercial and residential properties were comfortably integrated along Limerick’s Main Street.

At left is the hardware and jewelry store opened by F. H. Townsend in 1892 and carried on after 1911 by his wife as a men’s clothing and shoe business.

Beyond the Townsend building is the Limerick House, which served as an inn for decades.

A farmer leads his ox cart down the dirt street. The vehicle at the right belongs to the photographer from Eastern Illustrating and Publishing Co., which took images throughout Maine and New England for use on post cards.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.